Sunday, March 28, 2010

Introducing Peter Svensson, P.A. Cooley's Bearlesque Cub Cadet

  Where were you born and how did you end up here?

  Well PA, I was born in sunny Rio de Janeiro but moved to the South Bay at the tender age of one. I continue to live in the South Bay, giving me one wicked commute to rehearsals! There's been two points in  my life where I've hung my hat outside of the San Jose region. I went to UC San Diego for my bachelors, and I spent several months living in Noe Valley while saving up cash to attend UC San Diego. I'm no stranger to the city, I've spent a good deal of time here and do love. But while I didn't leave my heart in San Francisco, I do know the way to San Jose.

 What are you passionate about these days?
My boyfriend. Theatre, a few weeks ago I was involved in a 24-hour theatre project with the Bindlepunks, which performed at Dragon After Hours. I actually got to use that darn degree I spent way too much money on! Comics, I'm a professional comic book journalist and will be at Wonder Con taking pictures of all the little stormtroopers and Supermen. And combining my love of theatre with my geekiness, I run a live action roleplaying game Friday nights in Campbell, where I and about a dozen or so other geeks walk around in gothic attire pretending to be vampires. I can surrender any chance I ever had of being considered cool now.

 Where do you think you fit in to the Bear Community? 
The fringes? I'll attend a Bear event once in a blue moon, and I'm pretty firmly in the Cub category, but for the most part I'm not active in the community. Despite having a roaring love for it, don't get me wrong. But I'm not living in SF, and that complicates matters.

 What do you think the Bear Community should be focusing on as a whole these days?

Being open and inviting to new folks. I'm not suggesting going out and holding recruitment events, mind you, (though those would be fun to watch!) but at times it feels like a private club where if you don't already know someone with a membership, you stand no chance of ever getting in. We want more bears. Let's make it easier for new ones to be born. (Made?)

 How would an ideal date for you go?

I'm pretty easy to please. Dinner and a movie will put me in heaven for the most part.

Do you have a fetish? If so what is it?
I like me some big guys who are comfortable in their own skin. Geeks also get me going. Big redhead geeks with decent facial hair will send me into ecstasy.

 What made you decide to get involved in my show?

So, as a member of the Bay Area Theatre Bums I received an audition notice in my e-mail. And I mulled over it for a week, seriously weighing whether I'd have time for it, if the commute would be worth the effort, if I'd even meet your standards... I mean, on the surface it seemed like the perfect show. I love Bears. I love live theatre. I love New Conservatory Theatre Company. But the logistics scared me, as did the possibility of rejection. But then I realized something. This would be the only time in my adult life where I would be cast purely on my dancing skill. Given that I no longer have the svelte dancer's body I did as a teen, the thought amused me enough to go for it.

Anything you want to say to all the Bears and Cubs out there?
Have fun. Life is too short to worry about what others think.
Here here

No comments:

Post a Comment