Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Introducing Bear Singer of our Bearlesque Cast, Paul Brown

 Big Paul Brown and I met at the Lazy Bear Run in Guerneville last summer. He camped in the tent next to Lando and I, at the Outback Campground. He is generous with smiles and laughter and has a lovely voice that I could listen to all day. If you want a massage by a big strong bear who has a sensitive touch -look him up. He specializes in clients with pain management problems. http://www.paulbrown.net/


Where did you grow up and if not in SF what brought you here?
 
I'm originally from Sacramento, after a stint in the Navy from 88-93, came back home for work.  In 97, the lure of the dot-com explosion brought me to San Francisco, and except for a brief stint back in Sac, I've been here ever since!

What are you passionate about these days?
 
My business as a massage therapist takes up a lot of my passion and energy - it's very rewarding to help people feel better and be pain free.  Also, I'm the president of Foggy City Dancers, an LGBT square dancing club, which takes up a lot of time and is great fun to do.

Where do you think you fit in to the Bear Community?
 
That's always the question, isn't it?  Where do you fit in?  I'm not really sure that there's a satisfactory answer to that.  I used to worry a lot more about where I fit in here in San Francisco, but as I've gotten older, I care much less about fitting in and much more about caring about myself and others, and worrying less about where and whether I fit in.  I just do my own thing: I'm not much of a bar-goer, don't obsess over the gym.  So, with those two things out of the way, where do I fit in?  In my square dance club, I work really hard to create a space where everyone feels welcome.  Helping people feel like they belong to the community is my contribution to it.


What do you think the Bear Community should be focusing on as a whole these days?
 
The big thing for me is to not take itself so seriously.  Lighten up and have fun!

But also, realizing that there are healthy choices that we can make with regards to diet and exercise and building community.  Encourage our brothers and sister to make healthier choices without preaching or guilting them into it.  We all worry about HIV and AIDS, but forget about diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, prostate cancer.  This is especially important as the first generation of the bear community grows into middle age and beyond.  We have to take care of each other.


How would an ideal date for you go?

 
The ideal date for me is one where we are both feeling good and connected, no matter what we are doing.  I like adventure and spontaneity, so what we are doing isn't as important as being together and enjoying each other's presence.

But a nice meal never hurt!

Do you have a fetish? If so what is it?

 
I like lycra. And BDSM, but beyond that, you'll have to ask me privately.

What made you decide to get involved in my show?

 
Well, remember during Lazy Bear last year when we were camping neighbors, and I built the fires at night and you and Lando and I would sit around the fire and talk?  That's what made me decide.  Not the appeal to charity, or the desire to perform, but simply because you are a good person and I like you.

Aww ! Thank you ! Anything you want to say to all the Bears and Cubs out there?

 
We're going to have a lot of fun, so come see the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment